Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Chandelure Pattern


I now bring to you, my first Pokemon Pattern!  I came up with this while doing an art trade, and now I wish to share this lovely with you!








Chandelure
Supplies:
G hook
WW yarn in black, a light purple and a medium purple (I used RedHeart SuperSaver in Black, and Orichid)
Stuffing
Wire for the "arms"
Small amounts of yellow and light to medium purple felt
Hotglue gun and glue sticks
Black fabric paint


Body?(the main round part, anyhow)

With G hook and Orchid yarn;

Rnd 1:  8 sc in magic ring (8 )
Rnd 2:  2 sc in each sc around (16)
Rnd 3:  Sc in next sc, 2sc in next sc around (24)
Rnd 4:  Sc in next 2 sc, 2sc in next sc around (32)
Rnd 5:  Sc in next 3 sc, 2sc in next sc around (40)
Rnd 6:  Sc in next 4 sc, 2sc in next sc around (48 )
Rnd 7-13:  Sc in each sc around (48 )
Rnd 14:  Sc in next 4 sc, dec over next 2sc around (40)
Rnd 15:  Sc in next 3 sc, dec over next 2sc around (32)
Rnd 16;  Sc in next 2 sc, dec over next 2sc around (26) Start stuffing now if you haven't already.  Shape as you stuff.
Rnd 17:  Sc in next sc, dec over next 2sc around (16)
Rnd 18:  Dec over 2sc around (8 ).  Add any last bit of stuffing that you need to finish out the shape.  I like to use the flat end of my crochet hook for this, but you can use whatever works best for you(my mother-in-law likes to take extra chop sticks from chinese take-out places to use for getting the stuffing into all the nooks and cranies of a plushie).  F/O once you're happy with the shape and use your yarn tail to sew up the hole in the bottom of the body.  It doesn't have to be pretty, just get it shut.

Bottom Part of Body - A

With G hook and Black yarn;

Rnd 1:  8sc in magic ring (8 )
Rnd 2:  2sc in each sc around (16)
Rnd 3:  Sc in next sc, 2sc in next sc around (24)
Rnd 4:  Sc in next 2 sc, 2sc in next sc around (32)
Rnd 5:  Sc in each sc around (32).  Slst in first sc of next rnd, F/O, leaving a long tail.

Bottom Part of Body - B

With G hook and Black yarn;

Rnd 1:  4sc in magic ring (4)
Rnd 2:  Sc in next sc, 2sc in next sc around (6)
Rnd 3:  Sc in next 2 sc, 2sc in next sc around (8 )
Rnd 4:  Sc in next 3 sc, 2sc in next sc around (10)
Rnd 5:  Sc in next 4 sc, 2sc in next sc around (12)
Rnd 6:  Sc in next 5 sc, 2sc in next sc around (14)
Rnd 7:  Sc in next 6 sc, 2sc in next sc around (16)
Rnd 8:  Sc in each sc around (16).  F/O, leaving a long tail.  Stuff enough for the cone to hold it's shape, then sew part B to part A at rnd 2 on part A(I hope that made sense).  The bottom part of body should now look a bit like an icecream cone with a simi-flat top.  Use the long tail from part A, stitch the bottom of body to the body over where you closed it up.  Now the icecream cone has a huge scoope of icecream!

Crown thingamagig(that thing on it's head the flames come out of)

With G hook and black yarn;

Ch 20, 5 dc in 2nd ch from hook *skip 1 ch, sc in next ch, skip 1 ch, 5 dc in next ch*, repeat from * to *, sc in last ch.  Slst to bottom of first dc to form a ring(you should have 5 scallops or "bumps" in the ring).  F/O, leaving a long tail.  Sew to top of body, using the stitches in the 2nd rnd of body as guide.

Arms/Candle holders(that's what they look like to me, anyway)

Take your wire(I used an old wire coat hanger for mine[don't do that by the way, I nearly put an eye out trying to bend the damn stuff], but any wire that's sturdy yet easy to work with will do),  and cut it to roughly 24 inches long.  Insert wire into base of bottom of body through rnd 7 of cone.  Pull the wire through until you have equal amounts of wire on both sides of the cone(doodle A).
Bend the wire down on both sides of cone where it meets the cone(doodle B).  Next, curl the wire with jewelry pliers, or have your husband/boyfriend/wife/girlfriend/partner/friend who's stronger then you do it for you(I had my husband do it, as my hands weren't strong enough to bend that old coat hanger wire).  Put a nice dot of hot glue on the wire where it comes out on each side of the cone so it won't be spinning around on you(doodle C).  If the curl looks too long, trim it up and curl it again until it looks right.









Next, cut 2 more pieces of wire about 4-5 inches long.  Bend these into a simple horseshoe or U shape, then hot glue to your first bit of wire work(doodle D).  Once again, trim the wire if it looks too long.
Cut out and glue the small flames to the ends of your horseshoes.  Wrap all the wires in black yarn, securing with a dot of hot glue every 1/4 inch or so.  Make sure to wrap extra around the ends of the curl and a little way up the small flames.


Head flame

I just cut two identical flame shaped peices out of the same felt I made the small flames from, hot glued them together along the long edges, stuffed just enough for the flame to hold it's shape, then hot glued it to the head inside the crown thingy.  I'm sure there's a much better way to do this, this is just what I did.

Face
Back of Chandelure - taken by her new owner!

Okay, the only way I can tell you how to do this last part is to use the photos and a picture of the Chandelure sprite as a guide for painting the face and back lines on.  Once the paint has dried(I recomend letting it dry overnight), cut out the eyes from the yellow felt and hot glue them to the face, using the photos as a guide.  That's it, you're done!  Let me see what you make!


EDIT: Oct. 1, 2014  The lovely Nanette has come up with a few tweaks to my pattern that I really love, and I'm planning on making a Chandelure with these tweaks.  If you'd like to use them as well, you can find them here.


Chandelure and Pokemon are copyrite Nintendo.

5 comments:

  1. I love this pokemon. I saw your work on deviant art once and its so great! Keep it up. I'm looking forward to making this and clefairy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I'd love to see what you make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished my Chandelure, the pics and notes on up on my Ravelry page.

      Delete
  3. is amazing your chandelure,

    I tried to made one but I don't understand the pattern .
    By example
    Rnd: 3 sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc around (24)

    This means one sc on one sc, two sc on one sc, one sc on one sc and so to have 24?

    Could you explainme this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it's taken me a bit to get back to you. At the time I wrote the pattern, I didn't quite get crochet terms yet.
      For round 3, you need to increase in every other stitch, so the way you put it in you comment above is right. How I should have written that out was:
      Rnd 3: (sc in one sc, inc in next sc) repeat around (24 stitches)
      I hope this clears things up.
      Feel free to send me pictures of your finished Chandelure! I love seeing what folks make with my patterns!

      Delete